I’ve been feeling more energetic this trimester, and one way I expend that energy is baking. I’ve always enjoyed baking, especially lightly sweet breads for breakfast. I made a lot of applesauce earlier this month so I decided to try out a new recipe this morning. This is definitely my new favorite breakfast bread.
Applesauce Spice Bread (Breakfast cake-like) Recipe
* 240ml (1 c) all-purpose flour
* 240ml (1 c) whole wheat flour
* 2.5ml (1/2 tsp) baking powder
* 7.5 ml (1-1/2) teaspoons cinnamon
* 2.5ml (1/2 tsp) ground nutmeg
* 1.25ml (1/4 tsp) salt
* 240ml (1 c) sugar
* 2 eggs
* 2.5ml (1/2 tsp) vanilla
* 60ml (1/4 c) oil
* 200 – 300ml (~1 c) applesauce
* 45ml (3 Tbsp) milk
1. Preheat oven to 375°F (200C). Oil and flour a shallow baking pan or glass dish and set aside.
2. Mix together the dry ingredients in a medium mixing bowl.
3. In a smaller bowl, beat eggs, vanilla, oil, applesauce, and milk together one at a time until smooth.
4. Combine with dry ingredients, but don’t over mix!
5. Pour the batter into your prepared dish. Bake in the middle of your oven 25-30 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean. Remove and cool for 10 minutes. Then invert to serve or continue cooling to store.